Tuesday 22 September 2009

Sunderland Point: Bench, House, Groin (or Groyne...)

Bench, Sunderland Point, originally uploaded by Lancaster Today.

After writing all day for other purposes, it's hard to motivate myself to tell you anything more about Sunderland Point. But did I tell already that it is cut off by the tide twice a day?

What makes it special is crossing the road to the island-no-more just as the water drops below the tarmac. The road is awash with mud, and the marshy banks alongside are broken by huge pools of water rushing out with the fast-moving tide. That's really special to see, and I'll try to capture it for you next time we go there just after high-tide.

Until then, here is the last of the views of that area which the causeway road takes you to: A bench (above), a house and an old wooden groin.

Squashed neighbour, Sunderland Point, originally uploaded by Lancaster Today.

Groin, Sunderland Point, originally uploaded by Lancaster Today.

18 comments:

  1. Nice shots.
    The bench I like very much. Beautiful. I wish I could read the little sign on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gunn, it's a memorial to a deceased local resident, I seem to remember. There are a couple of benches with such little plaques on them

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact, I've just enlarged the original photo and it says "This bench is in memory of John Whitby" and then it looks like "1920-2001" followed by something that is unclear but which might be "Presented by Unclear Unclear"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very interesting memorial. I'd like to have something like that when I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It shall be done Steffe. Just send me a note when you've passed away and I'll start collecting the driftwood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a groyne rather than a groin, Eamon. The photo of it is very atmopheric.

    You describe the tide so marvellously. Do remember to go back and photograph the process for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unusual bench and that house is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, I deliberately chose the American spelling for it's 'throw' value - I like words having multiple readings on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three very special, meaningful photos. The bench is beautiful, as is the house and the old groin, as you called it.

    A lovely place and I thank you for showing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's something strong and eternal about all three images here. Maybe the weathered texture? Could stare at them for extended periods (IF I actually had such to spare, sorry!!):)) Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are a couple of benches with such little plaques on them.
    Make website india

    ReplyDelete
  12. O it is such a long time since we visited Sunderland Point - I simply love that marvellous bench.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bench is GREAT! It speaks so well of the people who live there, I think. And I'm always intrigued by a red door.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did think about Groin when I looked at that bench... house is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful images that house reminded me when I lived in a duplex with my grandmother, it was perfect until he died, that's the reason I got some memories seeing that house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are amazing place for living.They're Sunderland Point as a business and relocation destination, but the opportunities to save on residential and commercial property in the region are evident.......



    Cheapest student accommodation in Leicester
    All inclusive student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Student accommodation abroad can be a stressful task, thus for students to get over this hustle we have introduced fully furnished and spacious rooms with zero hassle.
    27 Norwood Terrace Leeds

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment in advance. All thoughts are appreciated ~ Eamon.