Saturday 3 October 2009

Custom House, Lancaster

Custom House, Lancaster, originally uploaded by Lancaster Today.

The Custom House, Lancaster Quay, built in 1765 and restored as Lancaster Maritime Museum in 1985.

The building has played a role in Lancaster's slave trade history, both as the place where merchants taxes would have been paid during that period, and today as a place where those links are presented for discussion.

NOTE: I'm on hols until Wed and having probs uploading pics, so unless I can get it sorted there will be a short hiatus on the blog.

11 comments:

  1. A monumental building in history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do like those columns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what great lighting, colors and reflections! It's a great old building with a sordid history...which makes it even more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leif, Lois, Jacob - many thanks. On hols until Wed and having probs uploading pics so nothing until Wed from me unless I can get it working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting detail and history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The building is spectacular but especially its age. It looks like a customs house in Chalestown, SC, USA. See if it doesn't look very similar:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Custom_House_%28Charleston,_South_Carolina%29

    I must tell you that your shot is really good of the reflections in the River Lune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing this when I have visited Lancaster. An impressive little building!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So ... just how do YOU define short?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a magnificent photo. Lots of brilliant photos on your blog.
    Sydney - City and Suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm ... by that Note, did you actually mean "hoo-roo"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great travel blog you have here. I have one myself which I hope to be a top resource for those looking to travel. We have a lot to cover and not that much time to do it. I was wondering if we could exchange links to help spread some traffic around. Please let me know if this is possible.

    Jason
    ThatVACATIONfeeling.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment in advance. All thoughts are appreciated ~ Eamon.